Athletic Code of Conduct
Please see the attached Athletic Code of Conduct for parents and players.
Student Code of Conduct – In Progress…
The staff at Belmont Secondary School believe our school should be a place for safe, purposeful learning. Our code of conduct is aligned with the BC Human Rights Code.
Expectations of student behaviour, school rules and Sooke School Board Policies apply to students traveling to and from school, while attending or representing any school curricular or extra-curricular function/activity, performance, or field experience.
Our Code of Conduct guides our behaviour in and out of school. Everyone in our community – students, parents and teachers – is responsible for promoting and protecting the values that underlie our Code of Conduct.
- The school expects that students will actively participate through effort and punctual, regular attendance, in their assigned education program.
- Students are expected to respect the rights and property of all Belmont staff and students
- Students are expected to comply with classroom expectations set by individual teachers in order to ensure that all students’ rights to effective and efficient learning environments are respected.
- Students are expected to wear clothing that is appropriate for an educational environment
- Students are expected to respect the appropriate use of school computers, internet access and cell phone use while in class.
- Students will not interfere with the learning or learning environment of others.
- Students will not display behaviour that includes bullying, harassment, intimidation, or be racially, ethnically, or sexually prejudiced.
- Students will not steal, smoke or be in possession of, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol while on the school property or in attendance of any school events.
- Students will not plagiarize (copy) electronic or print media or other students’ work or display any academic dishonesty.
- Students will not be involved in any acts of verbal or cyber-hate messaging/cyber-hate websites.
- Students will not discriminate against others from the below listed prohibited areas: race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, and age
- Smoking tobacco or the use of E-cigarettes/Vaporizers is not permitted on any SD62 property including in the school, on the school grounds, on buses, or while participating in school or District functions. Students are not permitted to leave campus between classes to smoke/vape. Students who smoke/vape on school property will be sent home/suspended.
- In accordance with District Policy the following is not acceptable : Tobacco ;Physical, verbal or sexual harassment; Possession or use of illegal substance (drugs, alcohol, tobacco); Possession or use of weapons
Disciplinary Procedures/Rising Expectations
Disciplinary action at Belmont Secondary will be determined by each individual situation. When dealing with students, the administrator may adjust the consequence or disciplinary action based partially on the maturity, grade level, and ability of the student to understand expectations of his/her behaviour. All students and parents should recognize and respect the disciplinary role of the teacher and the administration in the classroom, in the school at large and in all extra-curricular situations. In addition, other adults such as supervisory and classroom aides as well as office and custodial personnel may play an important role.
Any student who violates School Board or school policy will be subject to disciplinary action, which may include, but not limited to:
- An interview with an administrator;
- Notification of parent(s)/guardian(s);
- In-school suspension;
- Restorative processes;
- Community service;
- Loss of privileges;
- Referral to counselling or treatment program;
- Formal suspension from school;
- Referral to the Sooke Student Review Committee;
- Transfer to another school.